Cannellini Bean & Quinoa Patties
What does the 4th of July mean to you? To me it means freedom of choice, the choice of who we are, what we eat and with whom we chose to share the goodness. And, since the most American iconic food has to be the burger, what does a vegetarian do when invited to a cookout?
Bring these veggie burger patties to the mix and earn your stars and stripes!
Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside with the beans, with a little kick and a layer of sweetness, these burgers are exploding with flavor making a party in your mouth. And to boot, it’s efficient for the summer, I got 4-5 meals for the two of us from this one recipe.
Now who’s firing up that grill?
Salad Serves 4 & Burgers Serves Approx. 8
Cannellini Bean Salad:
1 can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
3 tbsp. chopped red onion
3 tbsp. chopped red pepper
2 tbsp. chopped dill pickles
1½ tsp. of a North-African herb mix comprised of the following:
– dried parsley, dried coriander, dried mint, red chili powder, roasted ground cumin, pepper, salt
¼ tsp. garlic powder
A Simple Dressing:
1 ½ tbs. apple cider vinegar + white balsamic vinegar mixed, approx.
½ tbsp. Dijon mustard
A squirt of organic agave nectar
If Eating as a Salad:
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
adjust salt and pepper to taste
1 cubed avocado
Mix and keep for 1-3 hrs.
Serve at room-temperature over a bed of greens
For the Burger Patties:
Mash the cannellini bean salad roughly, minus the avocado
1 cup cooked quinoa
½ cup shredded beets
¼ cup chopped canned artichoke (preserved in water vs. oil)
1 tsp. the North-African herb mix mentioned above or similar spices
½ tsp. crushed black pepper
salt to taste
3 dashes of spicy habanero hot-sauce or any hot-sauce you like
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley and basil
1 egg whisked
½ – 1 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Mix all the ingredients except the avocado until you can form balls/patties
- Heat a large pan over high heat and place the patties with a little olive oil, pat them down to flatten
- Turn down the heat to medium once you’ve put the first batch on the pan
- Resist the urge to touch the patties too soon
- Flip the patties after about 6-8 minutes
- Continue cooking until both sides are browned and crisp but not burnt
Serve over a salad, stuffed in a pita or a corn tortilla with pickled onions for lunch or as ‘meatless balls’ with on spaghetti for a quick summer dinner night.
Sparklers not included.